Peer Recovery Support Group
This is a peer-based recovery support* program, it is non-clinical and is meant to offer encouragement and accountability through shared experiences and peer engagement.
This program was developed to engage individuals who are living with CF and whom also have a history of substance abuse. The goal of the program is to obtain and/or maintain sobriety through supportive peer engagement.
Using the Zoom platform, virtual support groups will be held on a weekly basis. The sessions will discuss the obstacles of achieving or maintaining sobriety in conjunction with the added challenges of living with CF.
WHAT IS PEER-BASED RECOVERY SUPPORT:
*Peer-based recovery support is the process of giving and receiving nonprofessional, non-clinical assistance to achieve long-term recovery from alcohol and/or other drug-related problems. This support is provided by people who are experientially credentialed to assist others in initiating recovery, maintaining recovery, and enhancing the quality of personal and family life in long-term recovery.
Adam Burns, a 38 year old male diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis at two days old. Adam began experimenting with drugs and alcohol when he was 15 years old and continued this behavior until he was 37 years old. He has been in recovery since January 24, 2017. He has not only abused substances, but was also a husband to a wife who was an alcoholic. He has been a member of Attain Health since September 2017 and has grown physically and spiritually with this program.
Adam was vice president of a construction company until January of 2016 when he stepped down from his position due to complications with his cystic fibrosis. He remains employed part time with the same company, as an estimator.
Adam enjoys hiking, camping, and fishing, however these days his activities are more sedentary. He plays guitar and is taking piano lessons. Additionally, he paints, works on puzzles, and plays video games. He is known to tell a good story and motivate his peers through encouragement and laughter. Currently he is working with Attain Health and facilitates their substance abuse program.
Support Group Overview
1. The support group will meet on a weekly basis using the Zoom meeting platform, at a time that is convenient for everyone.
2. This meeting will be at least 60 minutes in length, however the meeting will not end until everyone has had their chance to contribute what they wanted to for that day.
3. Group members are expected to show up weekly and if they can not attend a meeting they are to notify the facilitator.
4. Each week group members will be asked to discuss their previous week. They are free to discuss their previous week or any challenges facing them whether it be from substance abuse, cystic fibrosis, or life in general.
5. Group members who are comfortable enough to share their story with everyone will do so after group check in. One group member a week will share their story.
6. After the weekly story, the weekly topic will be discussed. Group members will be encouraged to provide their own weekly topics. If none are provided the facilitator will select one. The group will be notified of the topic of the upcoming week's group at least 2 days prior to the meeting. All members are asked to participate in this topic, however if there are more pressing matters to be discussed they will come first.
7. Discussions of substance abuse in this group will be solely focused on recovery. We do not care who you used with or how much you used . This group is here to support everyone in the group in their recovery process.
8. Trigger words are not permitted in this group. This includes any drug name or slang referring to the drug itself, names of drug paraphernalia, and any reference to drug quantities.
9. Group members will be encouraged to problem solve their own challenges or assist in providing a positive input to help someone else.
10. This group will celebrate sobriety dates for all members.
11. Group members are only permitted to share experiences and not provide medical advice to anyone in the group.
Please email Adam with any programatic questions: firstname.lastname@example.org